Homoeopathy first aggravates the disease and then improves?
It is a myth. If the chosen remedy matches exactly with the patient’s need, it might cause a mild aggravation if given more than required, but this reaction would subside on its own as soon as the medicine is withdrawn. Since the aggravation is medicinal, it is very mild and temporary.
Sometimes, a patient who is dependent on other medicines for example steroids, heavy painkillers or antibiotics etc, on stopping them gets the original disease symptoms which were suppressed or were under check due to the medicine intake. These are misconceived as a disease aggravation. To avoid this, medications should never be stopped abruptly and should always be tapered off.
Homoeopathy is nothing but ‘Placebo effect’?
This is not true. Infact scientific, double-blind and controlled studies have repeatedly shown that Homoeopathy is anything but ‘Placebo effect’. The effect of medicines observed repeatedly on newborn infants, comatosed patients and animals where placebo effect does not work show that they are very scientific.
How can the same small white sugar pills given in homeopathy be effective for all diseases?
This doubt arises in people who use Homeopathic Medicines for the first time. The basic ingredients of homeopathic medicines come from more than 3000 different sources that are mainly derived from plants, animals and minerals. Their active principles are extracted into various solvents like alcohol or distilled water. For better palatability, the liquid homeopathic medicine is poured into small white sugar globules, which are highly porous and therefore absorptive. They are only a medium or vehicle for dispensing the medicines. It is the medicine in liquid form that acts on the diseased person and not the sugar globules.
How are Homoeopathic Medicines made?
They are derived from a variety of natural substances (plant, animal and salts) and are prepared in licensed laboratories under strict quality control. They are given in tablet, granules, pills, liquid or powder form and are available in different but extremely dilute strengths known as potencies.
What is the shelf life of Homeopathic Medicines?
If properly stored, homeopathic medicines can be used for years without any deterioration of quality. Medicines are to be kept tightly capped at room temperature in a cool, dry, dust free environment away from direct sunlight. They should not be exposed to strong odors. Don’t store them in your ‘medicine chest’ if you also keep things like strong smelling balms, or cough drops that contain menthol.
Can we give Homoeopathic Medicines to our pet animals?
One of the wonderful advantages of using Homeopathic Medicines with pets is that it is very easy to give. There’s no need to force pills down their throats or squirt nasty-tasting liquids in their mouths. In fact, giving an ‘animal family member’ his remedy can be part of a quite relaxing healing time for both of you. Just follow these simple steps:
- Remember to rinse your hands to remove any residual odors that might de-potentize the medicine.
- Make him/her relax in a quiet, comfortable place, and spend a few moments stroking and talking softly until they relax into this special time with you.If possible, have them lie on their side. Make a point of gently touching them around their mouth so that they associate this contact with your loving attention.
- Open the bottle and gently tap the number of globules you need – usually four to five into the cap, returning any extras from the cap back into the vial. If you touch a globule or it falls on the floor, throw it away. Returning it to the vial might de-potentize the remaining globules.
- If the patient is a dog, cat, or other small mammal, stroke the side of his face, then gently lift the side of his lip and drop the globules directly from the cap onto his gums. Allow his lip to fall back against the gums and continue to gently stroke his face and body. Chances are he will continue to lie quietly, enjoying your attention and barely noticing the sweet-tasting pills dissolving in his mouth.
- If it’s not practical to have the animal lie on his side (as with a horse or any other large animal, or the one who is a little tense), it’s okay to use your fingers to place the pills in his mouth. As long as there are no strong smells on your hands, touching the remedy briefly will not de-potentize it. Simply pour 4-5 pills from the vial cap into the palm of one hand, pick them up with the thumb and forefinger of your hand and place them on the animal’s gums, in his mouth, or slide them between his lips.
- Ideally, the pellets will dissolve against his mucous membranes as they release their healing energy into his system. However, if he chews and swallows the pellets, don’t worry. They will still do their job. Even if they remain on his gums only a few moments before he shakes his head and spits them out, there’s an excellent chance his system will receive the benefit of the healing energy.
If the animal you’re caring for is unwilling to allow you to handle her mouth, crush the pellets and dissolve them in a small amount of water, and administer it with a dropper or a syringe.
Can Homoeopathy treat anything and everything?
Like any other system of medicine, homoeopathy has its own limitations. By Homoeopathy any ailment acute or chronic, local or general can be treated except diseases where surgery is unavoidable. Furthermore, we may note that many surgical diseases are treatable by homeopathic remedies to a great extent like enlarged tonsils, kidney stones, appendicitis, warts, piles, fissures, fistula, fibroid uterus, breast adenomas, ovarian cysts in females etc.